Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pickleball Paddle Review: Pro-lite Graphite Blaster

This is a paddle review of Pro-lite sports new Graphite Blaster.  This is Pro-lite's newest paddle, and according to Pro-lite, "have been the best sellers." The Graphite Blaster is extremely light. When I first picked it up, I was surprised how light it is. I put it on my digital scale and it only weighed 6.5 oz, yet the paddle face is one of the largest on the market. Because of it's larger overall paddle face, it has a greater sweet spot, so you can have no excuse not hitting the ball. This means, combined with the Graphite addition, you can hit the ball harder with less energy and more bounce with almost no sacrifice in paddle speed. If your playing style includes a long swing motion (Swing motion is distance that the paddle travels by moving your arm back and raising your paddle and then swinging down through ball contact and then back up on your follow-through) then the pro-lite Graphite Blaster is a great selection for you. I myself find the paddle a little on the light side, but I have heard many great reviews of how lightning fast peoples reactions are with the Graphite Blaster. The graphics alone are great. The paddles sell for $65 CDN.

3 comments:

  1. I live near a major online supplier and went to get a blaster, with my digital scale in hand. A dozen had just arrived. Most weighed around 6.1-6.3 oz, but I wanted the lightest and got the 5.95 oz one. Interestingly, the two black blasters in the dozen weighed 7.6 oz. Truly fast action on the kitchen line is possible with syper light weight. BUT, after two days of use, I returned my superlight and got another brand paddle that weighed 7.7 oz and also was graphite oversize. Why? Too much arm effort needed when not punching the ball at the kitchen line, inviting tennis elbow with long play. Further, the blaster handle diameter is small, and the wrapping is thin, albeit acceptably sticky.
    Moral? Specify an ideal weight for you, consider handle wrap, and make sure you can return any paddle you buy.
    Question: Given the much heavier black blaster, is the black a manufacturer's deliberate attempt to have a heavier blaster, and their promo copy has not yet kept up???
    A nitpick with the review: a larger sweet spot with larger size is not automatic, if the compressibility of the paddle center shows compression greater than, say, two. See most recent USAPA tests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I purchased Blasters a couple of months ago. I chose the lightweight and my husband got a heavier Blaster. I love it. It is much easier on my wrist. I have tried the heavier one and it just too heavy for me. He loves it though and when we bought it, they put a cushion grip on it for him. It is not black in color but a blue colored version. I guess everyone has some sort of preference when it comes to the weight of their own paddle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a Blaster today and began using it half way through a tournament. I was amazed at how light it was. My other paddle is a 'whippersnapper', which I'm very happy with, but as I get better, it seems to get heavier. The Blaster was really fast up at the kitchen line, and with some of the really fast returns. It did take a bit more effort on serves and long shots, but I found it to be a bit more accurate. So, I'm very impressed. If I change my mind, I'll add another post, but I don't expect to find anything that I won't rave about with the Blaster.

    ReplyDelete