Friday, October 14, 2011

Balance & weight transfer for better groundstrokes

As a kid I played a lot of baseball. My father who passed away last year was a baseball fanatic, and lover of the mental instructional side of the game. He taught me how to hit the ball using a small amount of effort, but yielded a strong shot. This is achieved through proper body balance and weight transfer. These same techniques can be easily adapted to the pickleball court. Too often players try to over-think their  game with should I spin it, play to their backhand, where's my partner (which are all good points to master, but we need basics first) to the point that they make unforced errors into the net, or out of play. Once we see the ball returning to us and we can are able to deduce if it will be played to our forehand or backhand, then we need to turn to the side, and place weight on our back foot. In baseball my father taught me to stay in the batters box, and put the weight to my back foot, balancing slightly on my front foot. As the ball came in I transferred the weight in my body and back foot to my front foot, allowing my back foot to become a rudder to balance my body. The weight is shifted creating momentum, into your body's power zone to empower your arms or legs. The result is power that aids the pickleball paddle through consistent power exchange. Mickey Mantle might have been a great pickleball player, 'eh dad?

No comments:

Post a Comment