Saturday, August 25, 2012

Do pickleball tournaments need ref's?

This past week I was a volunteer for the BC Seniors games for pickleball. At the players instructions at the start they were told that they would have to call their own lines, own faults, and even their own scores. What??? I realized that not all their pickleball volunteers actually knew anything about pickleball, but i know when I'm playing a pickleball tournament, I appreciate having a ref make the calls. In the heat of volleys you don't want to concentrate on lines, but instead concentrate on hitting the ball. I've attended some tournaments like Kelowna & Nanaimo and once you play a game, one of the winners becomes the ref for the following game, easy-peasy. If seniors were attending the games for softball would there be umpires? How about if they were there for the javelin throw, would there be anyone judging if they had faulted on their throw line? I might have been told to just simply collect the scores, but I acted upon instinct and called lines, faults, and scores after agreement from all participants. Players appreciated my reffing, and even asked too switch from their courts to be reffed on my court. Ref's are needed for pickleball tournaments! For those that are reading this and you don't know how to ref, start learning! It is very key to your own success in pickleball as well. What do you think about ref's in pickleball?

No comments:

Post a Comment