Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Pickleball Strategy: Basketball defense

Every Monday, I help coach my son's elementary basketball team. One of the biggest drills that we work on is defense! Defense is not letting the other team score. Good defensive players in basketball like Kobe Bryant are how we should be playing pickleball. In basketball drills we do side steps, never allowing our feet to get to close together, getting our hands up and out for quick reaction, and always keeping an eye on our opponent(s.)

 When I'm playing with my pickleball partner at the net, and my opponent forces a shot to us down the side lines that my partner needs to go for, I have to do quick side steps to cover him up, not allowing a huge gap to come between us. My partner and I should be moving in tandem up and back, side to side. We need to know where the ball is at all times of course, but we also need to anticipate our opponents by keeping our eyes on them.  It's been said before, but get your paddle up; that helps for faster reaction that having your paddle at your waist, or at your knees. A great defense puts us in contention for great offense.

No comments:

Post a Comment