Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pickleball Rules Refresher: Injury TO

At a recent tournament in Nanaimo I was playing in the men's singles tournament. During the tournament I was playing well through 6 games winning all my games fairly easily. During the gold medal game I wasn't able to play properly with a pulled calf muscle on my left leg. Seemingly easy shots I couldn't even get to as my leg screamed "Stop! What do you think you are trying to do?"  In a tournament match what are you allowed for a time out? According to IFP (International Federation of Pickleball) rules it states in 11.B. , " If a player is injured during a match, that player may call an injury time-out. The referee must agree that an injury did take place and that the player is not just stalling to rest or recuperate. If the referee agrees, then that player will be allowed no more than 15 minutes of rest during the injury time-out. If the player cannot resume play after the 15-minute injury time-out period, the match shall be awarded to the opponents.
*IFP Comment*: A player may take only one injury time-out per match. That time-out must be continuous and may be up to 15 minutes. For me I took the time out, and tried to play after that TO, but my leg was toast. At this point I really wanted the gold,  but knew i couldn't physically obtain it, nor provide a decent game to my opponent. I conceeded the gold to Rhyner W. (The young guy in the orange shirt.) My pride, and determination wanted me to continue, but luckily common sense won.  The moral: take the injury time out if you need it, but know your own limits. Congratulations Rhyner - Gold, Me (Grant) - Silver, Joe Wong - Bronze.

No comments:

Post a Comment