Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pickleball Strategy: Bop-it Bounce!

So for Christmas I got a neat gift from my eldest son to help keep my eye on my paddle and ball. The game is from Hasbro, who make an endless supply of board games every year. It's called "Bop-it Bounce." If you have ever tried the other bop-it games where you have to twist, pill, hit, and speak to it, this is an entirely different breed. This game involves a red hard foam ball (larger than a golf ball, and slightly smaller than a pickleball) and a trampoline fabric desert plate with a handle. I know sounds weird, but it's a really neat game. There are 6 different electronic games that all involve bouncing & keeping the red ball on the soft plate. Some of the games involves hitting the ball as many times in 30 seconds, or bouncing the ball as high as you can whilst keeping it in control, or where you have to hit the ball: low, medium, high continuously. I've taken some time to head outside, or in a large space indoors where I can focus on hitting the ball. In pickleball when I'm playing, there is alawys distractions: people yelling, balls flying past your head, bright lights, people walking in and out of your periphery; so we need to learn focus...like hitting a little red ball on a tiny plate. I know I can get distracted through other sources at pickleball, or my own playing mood can also affect my focus. But those are the times you take that break, take a breath, stretch, grab a drink of water, tie your shoes again. It gives you that edge to refocus not on hitting the red ball on the pklate thingy, but watching & hitting the"Holey" pickleball off you paddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment