Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pickleball Rules Refresher: Standing in the way

I was playing with some intermediate pickleball players tonight, and I tried psyching the opposition when my partner was receiving the serve. I stood in the non volley zone, on her side. Our opponents stated, "You can't do that, you need to be in your area. " According to IFP rules 5B9, "The receiver’s partner may stand anywhere on or off the court." I can stand in the NVZ, I can stand outside the court, even hold my partners hand receiving the serve. But the rule before that clearly states in 5B8, "The receiver is the only player who may return the ball. If the wrong player returns the ball, it is a point for the serving team." I also can't let the ball strike me, or it to will be a point for the other team. The receivers partner cannot distract the server by talking to them or jumping up and down. Yes you can stand anywhere, but you need to be ready to get back into position, so you aren't a hinderance to your team.

No comments:

Post a Comment